There’s perhaps nothing better than biting into a gooey, warm and delicious chocolate chip cookie. For anyone who uses medicinal marijuana, making appetizing recipes is one of the most enjoyable and convenient ways to get a dose. Here is a simple chocolate chip cookie recipe — including instructions for making the key ingredient, cannabutter — to get you started.
First Make Cannabutter
The key ingredient in marijuana chocolate chip cookies is cannabis-infused butter, also known as cannabutter. Making cannabutter involves a little time, but it’s relatively easy and is useful for making a wide variety of edibles, including brownies and other baked goods.
There are two methods for making cannabutter. This is perhaps the most time-consuming part of making marijuana chocolate chip cookies. It can take from two to 24 hours, depending on the method you choose. The good news is once the cannabutter is made, there should be enough to then make multiple batches of these chocolate chip cookies or other marijuana recipes.
Getting Your Ingredients Together
After you have prepared the cannabutter, it’s time to get the other necessary ingredients together. Overall, this recipe is relatively easy. It should produce about 30 cookies and take around 45 minutes in total, including prep and baking. Here are the ingredients necessary to make this recipe:
- ¾ cup cannabutter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 bag (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- optional: 1 cup walnuts or ½ cup pretzels for extra texture
Making Your Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (turn on the convection setting if the oven has it).
- Next, grease two cookie sheets with normal butter or line them with parchment paper. If only one baking sheet is available, let it cool down completely before using it for the second batch of cookies.
- In a small saucepan, melt the cannabutter and then allow it to cool down slightly. Alternatively, place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in bursts of 30 seconds until it’s completely melted.
- Place the eggs, sugars and vanilla in a large bowl, add the melted butter and whisk until the contents are smooth
- Then, in a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Once the dry ingredients are incorporated, slowly stir the first bowl of wet ingredient in with the dry. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the other optional ingredients, if using.
- Scoop out about ¼ cup of cookie dough for each cookie and drop onto the prepared pans. Ensure there are about 2 to 3 inches between each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 12 to 16 minutes. Cookies baked for shorter periods of time will be chewier while cookies baked longer will be crunchier. Wait for the pan to cool for a few minutes before you transfer the cookies to a rack for cooling.
- Store the marijuana chocolate chip cookies in a sealed container. They should last for about five days.
Ultimately, this recipe is designed to give you the perfect marijuana chocolate chip cookie. As medical marijuana users increasingly embrace elements of the foodie movement, expect more interesting and useful recipes on the horizon.